Shawangunk Wine Trail Events
This 80-mile trail covering 15 diverse wineries between the Shawangunk Mountains and the Hudson River is renowned for their fun annual events showcasing local wine and food. Find details and ticket information at www.shawangunkwinetrail.com.
• Pasta Primo Vino celebrates Spring on a weekend in April. Take the self-guide driving tour along the wine trail for delicious tastings of wine and pasta.
• Hudson Valley Wine Tasting Passport includes tastings of up to 4 wines at every winery on the trail from April through August (except during special winery events) so you can travel at your own pace.
• Bounty of the Hudson, a huge two-day festival featuring wine, local produce, epicurean treats and live music, celebrated at one of the trail wineries each July. Many of the Hudson Valley Region’s finest winemakers will be represented.
• Wreath Fineries at the Wineries will get you in the holiday spirit! Get a grapevine wreath and a souvenir wine glass at the starting point and receive wine tastings and wreath ornaments at each stop. Weekends from late November through mid-December are reserved for this self-guided tour.
Farm Dining Events
Blooming Hill Organic Farm
• Brunch every Saturday and Sunday from 10am-2pm. No reservations necessary.
• Monthly farm dinners featuring all vegetarian fare centered around produce grown during the week. 5-courses prepared by special guest chefs. Reserve on line: bloominghillevents.com; 845-288-3749.
• Supper Club dining once each season features 6-course suppers highlighting the farm’s bounty with locally sourced meat and fish as well. Supper Club memberships available.
Brown Barn Farms / Orange County Distillery Cocktail Room
Local food and spirits events including food and cocktail pairings, farm-to-table dinners and special flight tastings. Check weekly schedule online.
Soons Orchard Farm
3-course farm-to-table dinner and cooking demonstration by Chef Shawn Hubbell held one evening a month (except for June and October), Friday or Saturday, starting at 7:30pm. Doors open at 7:30 or just before; the Orchard Hill Cider Mill Tasting Room is open for tastings and purchases of NY wine, spirits and hard cider until 7:30. Unique menu each month. Meat or fish is usually part of the main course, but vegetarian option is available.
Locavore Dining Annual Events
Since timing can vary, please check the web sites for up-to-date information.
A Taste of Greater Newburgh
Usually held under the tent in early May in conjunction with “Artists on Campus” at Mount Saint Mary College. An extraordinary assortment of tastings of local culinary treats prepared by local chefs.
Brew Fest on the Farm, Pennings Farm Market, Warwick
Usually held late May. One-day event featuring more than 40 locally crafted beers and hard ciders in the orchard plus locally sourced food available for purchase.
Hudson Valley Farm to Fork Fondo
Usually held late June. Join hundreds of bicycle riders for this non-competitive cycling event routed through Orange County farm country. Taste treats straight from the farms at aid stations along the way and finish with a fabulous farm-to-table post ride meal.
Black Dirt Feast, Pine Island
Usually held early August. Farm-to-table al fresco affair celebrating the collaboration of local farmers and restaurateurs to highlight the beauty and bounty of the region.
Taste of Warwick
Usually held early September under the stars on the grounds of the Warwick Valley Winery & Distillery. Features fine food and drink prepared with ingredients from local farms by local chefs.
Cooking Lessons with the Pros using Hudson Valley Ingredients
Iron Forge Inn, Warwick
The Iron Forge Inn in Warwick has been famous for its country dining for over 50 years. Colonial ambiance, including a Tap Room with a fireplace near the original 1760 cooking kitchen, sets this place apart from other area restaurants. So does the Chef and owner Erik Johansen, a graduate of the Culinary Institute of America, who emphasizes local ingredients in his Modern American menus. His “Cooking with the Seasons” classes and demonstrations are offered at the restaurant, in your home, or at your corporate event site. Classes held at the Iron Forge Inn include all ingredients, utensils, and recipes. Nibble on hors d’oeuvres and sip wine as you learn how to prepare an exquisite seasonal meal from scratch, no experience needed.
Borland House Inn, Montgomery
Farm-to-Table cooking classes at Montgomery’s Borland House Inn will bring out your inner culinary genius. Chef Anna, who studied the culinary arts in Southern France and has cooked in kitchens around the world, tells you stories of her adventures as she shows you how to make themed meals inspired by Italy, France, and America. Want to learn how to can fresh local veggies and fruits? She’ll teach you that too. Make it a cooking getaway when you book a room at this charming B &B in the heart of historic Montgomery.
Nimai’s Bliss Kitchen, Newburgh
845-245-6048, Facebook:Nimais Bliss Kitchen
Bring some international flair to your table when you learn the art of cooking at Nimai’s Bliss Kitchen in Newburgh. This international vegetarian eatery serves gourmet lunch and dinner 6 days a week. In addition to live music and dance events, they offer Indian Ayurvedic cooking classes every Thursday evening. Ayurveda is the holistic tradition that believes health and wellness depend upon the balance of mind, body, and spirit. You’ll feel completely nourished following your cooking lesson inclusive of a full dinner and hands on instruction. Pick up the special ingredients needed to duplicate that meal at home right on site at the Bliss Market.
Shady Acres Organic Farm, Middletown
Certified Master Preserver and co-owner of Shady Acres Organic Farm in Middletown, Ana Finkle, offers a variety of hands-on canning workshops in their farm kitchen that will enable you to enjoy the Hudson Valley bounty all year long! Sessions are limited to 10 people and require a minimum of 4. Supplies and produce are included and everyone leaves with a jar or two of goodness. Fruits and vegetables depend upon availability. Contact her to schedule.